Tips for Building a Great Playground
We understand that building a playground may seem intimidating
– it’s a big project with a lot of responsibilities. The first step in
making this job easier is to have communities work together; after all,
the playground will be an asset to the entire community. Here are some
tips on how to build a playground:
- Determine the playground location, keeping in mind safety and convenience for the entire neighborhood.
- Make sure you know who owns the playground land, and obtain the necessary approvals from the landowner.
- Check your local zoning and building codes and work with your
school district to find out any policies that might affect the
- Plan a volunteer meeting and establish your volunteer resources and skills.
- Set a goal date for completion.
- Set a budget – assign a volunteer to research government and foundation grants available to playground projects.
- Set a fundraising plan for your budget that includes contacting potential business, civic and media sponsors.
- Assign a volunteer to work on the publicity plan to mobilize the community around your work.
- Hold a playground design day for your community and be sure to include children in the design process.
- Select safe, IPEMA-certified equipment and surfacing for the playground.